Annual Conference & Trade Show
January 11-13, 2017
Radisson Plaza, Kalamazoo
Note: If you are an Allied Member looking to register ($225 per person) and/or secure a $500 booth in the Trade Show, please contact Dianna Stampfler at email@example.com. There is a separate registration system and promotional code for Platinum-Gold-Silver-Bronze members. Space is limited and registrations are being handled on a one-on-one basis.
About the Event:
The Annual Winter Conference takes place each year in January and offers brewery personnel a high quality educational experience that is both local and affordable. This event is a collaborative effort between the Michigan Brewers Guild and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas-District Michigan.
The conference includes presentations by experienced professionals from within Michigan as well as from across the national craft beer community. Presentations cover relevant topics focused on the technical aspects of beer production as well as beer sales and marketing. Additional highlights are a Sensory Evaluation Workshop and a Great Beer State dinner reception featuring extraordinary presentations of beer and food.
2017 Conference Location:
Kalamazoo Radisson Plaza Hotel will reserve a block of rooms at a special rate for conference attendees.
Meet our supporters specializing in equipment, raw materials, supplies, and goods & services specific to the brewing industry. Many Allied Trade members offer special deals or discounts to Michigan Brewers Guild members.
Vendor registration for the trade show opens to our Allied Trade business partners in mid-November. More details will be emailed to Allied members shortly.
If you are a supplier or industry vendor and would like to participate in the Trade Show, you can do so by joining the Guild as an Allied Trade member. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2017 Conference Schedule:
Wednesday, Jan. 11
- 9am: Registration desk opens; guests can pick up badges on the Lobby level, by Arcadia Ballroom
- 11am - 12:30pm: Sensory Evaluation Workshop - Kevin Payne
- 12:30 - 2pm: Lunch at large in Kalamazoo (vouchers will be provided for local breweries)
- 2 - 3:15pm: Keynote Address, day 1 - Dick Cantwell (BA Quality Ambassador)
- 3:30 - 4:30pm: State of the Industry overview - Bart Watson (BA Economist)
- 4:30 - 6pm: Brewers Guild Annual Meeting & Election
- 4:30 - 7:30pm: Trade Show open
- 7:30 - 10pm: Dinner on own
- 10pm - 1am: Garryoke! (Burdick's)
Thursday, Jan. 12
- 9 - 10am: Breakfast
- 10 - 10:45am: MBAA District Michigan meeting
- 11am - 12pm: "Beer Quality" - Alastair Pringle (Maryville Univ.)
- 12 - 3pm: Trade Show open
- 1 - 1:45pm: Lunch (in Trade Show)
- 1:45 - 2:45pm: (Session A) "Human Resources Issues & Concerns in your Brewery/Brewpub" - speaker TBA
- 1:45 - 2:45pm: (Session B) "Overview of Brewery Education Programs in Michigan" - panel TBA
- 3 - 4pm: Keynote Address, day 2 - speaker TBA
- 4:15 - 5:15pm: (Session A) "Training for Brewpubs: How, When, and Why to Implement Your Training Program" - Laura Lodge & Ginger Johnson
- 4:15 - 5:15pm: (Session B) "Draft Beer Quality in your Pub and on the Street" - speaker TBA
- 5:30 - 6:30pm: (Session A) "Rules & Regulations Related to Microbreweries" - Teri Quimby (MLCC)
- 5:30 - 6:30pm: (Session B) "Michigan Hops & Malt: Developing Quality, Part 1" - Alec Mull, Jason Salas, Derek Stepanski, John Mallet
- 6:30 - 7:30pm: (Session A) "Do's & Don't's for Brewery Representatives" - Spencer Nevins (MI Beer & Wine Wholesalers Assoc.)
- 6:30 - 7:30pm: (Session B) "Michigan Hops & Malt: Developing Quality, Part 2" - same panelists as Part 1
- 7:30 - 10:30pm: Great Beer State Dinner
- 11pm - 1am: Live Music & Social Time - The Concussions @ Arcadia Ales
Friday, Jan. 13
- 10 - 11am: Keynote Address, day 3 - topic & speaker TBA
- 11:15am - 12:15pm: (Session A) "Beer & Sex: Marketing Beer to Women" - Ginger Johnson
- 11:15 - 12:15pm: (Session B) "Wastewater: Why is it Relevant to You?" - panel TBA
- 12:15 - 1:15pm: Lunch
- 1:30 - 3pm: Government Relations Update & Panel
- 3pm - ?: Beertails & Departure
Garry Boyd - BarFly Ventures Ringleader, MBG Board Member, and karaoke extraordinaire
Dick Cantwell - Brewers Association Quality Ambassador, Author, & Co-Founder of Elysian Brewing Co.Ginger Johnson - Founder, Women Enjoying Beer LLC & Ginger Johnson Marketing
Laura Lodge - Owner/Consultant, Customized Craft Beer Programs
John Mallet - Director of Operations, Bell's Brewery Inc.; Author
Spencer Nevins - President, Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association
Terri Quimby - Commissioner, Michigan Liquor Control Commission
Jason Salas - Head Brewer, New Holland Brewing Co.
Derek Stepanski - Quality Assurance Manager, Bell's Brewery Inc.Bart Watson - Brewers Association Chief Economist